Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Foliage VFX: Week 3 Tuesday

On Tuesday I started to work on the particle effects.
I created a spore cloud in some of the empty space left on my alpha map to pair with some spore particles to burst out of the mushrooms on hit.
For reference, I had watched several spore explosion videos like this and this and wanted to have a similar feel to the mushrooms seen in viva pinata, where despite being a shape that doesn't usually have spore explosions, they still seem to emit spores from underneath the caps.

for the spores, I made a really simple soft circle particle material:
while for the clouds, I followed this tutorial on cropping textures to create a cloud material:
I added both to a particle effect, messing around with the lifetime, size, velocity, colour, opacity, acceleration and rotation to create an effect that loses force and disperses after the initial explosion from the centre.
Finally, I moved onto making a blueprint for it:
it was a simple blueprint that turns the particle effect on upon the character overlapping the collision sphere I had added to it in the viewport:

After this, I began working on the wind effect for the grass, combining this tutorial with the simple grass wind in UE4:
but I still had a long way to go, the grass felt too jittery and the mushrooms still felt too static.



No comments:

Post a Comment