Thursday, December 5, 2019

Foliage VFX: Week 3 Wednesday

On Wednesday I finished up the grass wind effect:
I combined the effect from the tutorial with the animated sine effect seen in the G channel of the simple grass wind, which ended up being more complicated than it probably needed to be. In the future I would also avoid using the SimpleGrassWind node and instead simply create the sine wave myself, as it would probably be cheaper than only using a slice of an entire function node.
I also created a Global Material Parameter for the scene so that I could edit several different materials through the blueprints:

After I'd finished this base effect, I created a wind blueprint to add some more variation in movement to the scene:
Play Sound at Location nodes were added later
This was set to slowly change between two different wind directions:

After this had been completed, I set to work on adding a reaction to the player moving around in the grass following this tutorial:
I have thought about the cost of using event tick for the grass, and have tried using a delay to offset the cost, however each time it resulted in the grass looking janky as the frame rate simply wasn't smooth enough. I may go back to it later and try with even smaller numbers however, as any kind of delay would be less costly than using an event tick on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment