Thursday, October 17, 2019

Water VFX: Week 3 Thursday

On Thursday I imported the normal map .psd and lowpoly .obj from marmoset into substance painter and began texturing. Because I wanted a stylised effect, I hand painted the majority of the model using both the 2D UV view and the 3D viewport, making sure to pay attention to the PBR aspects of each layer. I also used some smart masks and created my own masks using the curvature map and levels for edge highlights and cavity lowlights.
I added texture information where the water of the VFX would be touching the metal and wood, making wet areas darker and more reflective in areas where water would likely to be, like the base of the pump and inside the bucket.

Once this was completed, I started modelling a plinth for it to be displayed on. I used all of the techniques I had used for the previous assets to create a quick makeshift plinth with subtle details sculpted in zbrush:

No comments:

Post a Comment