Thursday, November 14, 2019

Helmeted Character: Week 4 Thursday

On Thursday I exported the textures as Normal maps, OcclusionRoughnessMetallic maps and Emission maps, then started on rigging the character. I had received crit from Teo that the legs seemed a little short, and luckily hadn't connected the shoes topology to the joggers, so I moved the shoes downwards a little to create longer shins, then moved some of the knee topology downwards (making sure to be on preserve UVs to avoid distorting the texture).

After this, I began rigging by freezing the torso and adding a biped skeleton to a bones folder, positioning the limbs and then mirroring them to save time. I used a tail bone for the strap on the joggers as it would move along with the body, as I discovered that ponytail bones move along with the head.

I applied a skin modifier to the mesh and started assigning weights systematically through the list of added bones, focusing only on one side again so that I could mirror it and then edit any errors.

After this, I left figure mode and went into animation more to pose the character somewhat based on the concept's pose- with a closed fist, wide stance and head turned to the side. I planted the feet so that they would always be on the ground and set keys whenever I moved a limb into place until I was happy with the pose, then checked to see if there were any areas in the weighting that I had missed and corrected them:

No comments:

Post a Comment