Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Helmeted Character: Week 4 Tuesday

On Tuesday I started texturing the character in Substance Painter. This day consisted of mostly me dragging smart materials into the scene based on which material values I thought would fit best with the material of each piece of clothing, placing them into labelled folders and then masking them to create the base I would be working with. After this, I went through each folder and changed the base colour, roughness and height levels depending on the effect I wanted. I tweaked, added and deleted detail layers to create my own edgewear, highlights, grunge and dirt stains using smart masks such as dirt cavities, dust occlusion, edge damage, edges uber, edges strong, fabric edges, paint damage, paint old and surface worn. I also created my own masks using the bitmap mask function, using the curvature map and levels to identify edges and cavities without the use of smart masks.


When painting the masks, I used both the planar uv painting mode on the 2D view and the tangent|wrap painting mode on the 3d viewport so that I could easily mask whole islands without it wrapping, then covering up any seams by having the paint wrap onto neighbouring islands while painting in the 3d viewport for accuracy.

I used the substance font alphas to write out the text in different font based on whichever matched the concept font the closest, using font Orbitron for 'HELL' and '24-HOUR OLFACTORY CAMERA'. I also used it for the '050' but used the eraser to remove a '/' from the 0s. Finally, I used the Han Sans Japanese Chinese font for the '臭覚カメラ' (olfactory camera), adding some height to it so that it appeared as if it had been printed onto the jacket. I also added some patches of wear to the text on the helmet and the cross on the jacket so that it acted like worn off paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment